Welcome



Shop | Instagram | Facebook | Fashion | About



Musings, art pieces, compiled mishmash of creative blobs and the daily life of Lyza Roderick – artist, visual merchandiser, + lover of the earth. Owner of Dreamsongs on Etsy Follow my creative + crazy journey discovering the ins + outs of well, everything.




Saturday, January 14, 2017

FASH: My 2017 Golden Globes Best Dressed

I love award season mostly just because of the Red Carpet. Stars come out dressed in their best and we get to gawk, laugh, and drool over their ensembles all while we sip wine in our onsie PJs on the couch. Nothing could be better!

The 74th annual Golden Globes was this past weekend and La La Land may have raked in the awards but we know the real winners and losers were decided before everyone was even seated aka the Best and Worst Dressed.

The Good

Naomi Campbell in Atelier Versace
The LINES in this dress are to DIE for! As soon as I saw it I was like, "YES". I am in love with the beautiful blush color (I want my wedding dress to be that color tbqh) and the contrast of those sequined black folds is so pleasing to the eye. The pintucks in the bodice gives this dress so much movement when its standing still. It looks like a waterfall and her body is acting as the mountain. BRAVO Naomi, bravo!
Sophie Turner in Louis Vuitton
This futuristic sporty look looks so incredible on Soph (because if we were friends I would totally call her that). I feel like it's a tough dress to pull off but she does it perfectly with simple straight hair, a classic smokey eye, and minimal jewelry. Now go don House Stark's traditional furs and stay warm because Winter is HERE, girlfriend.
Sophia Vergara in Zuhair Murad
Oh.My.GAWD. Yes, girl! Our favorite bombshell with the best sense of humor and down to earth personality, set the red carpet on fire with this outstanding Zuhair Murad long sleeve gown. She looks like a damn warrior Goddess! I'm in love.
Kristen Bell in Jenny Packham
I have to admit, this was one of the first looks I ever saw from this year's Golden Globes and I loved it so much. It's so elegant and sexy with its plunging, rectangular neckline. Once I saw it, I tweeted out a picture of her and her hubby, Dax Shepard and he actually "liked" my tweet.
Total fangirl moment.
Gwendoline Christie in custom Vivienne Westwood
Hello grecian goddess that is Brienne of Tarth aka Gwendoline Christie. Giving us straight up modern Marilyn Monroe vibes. I mean, how simply gorgeous is this dress?! The color against her skin tone and hair is just perfection. She looks like what french vanilla ice cream would look like if it were a person and its delicious. The beautiful train that trails off her shoulder makes this dress. It would still be gorgeous without it but that just takes it to the next level.


The Bad and the Ugly 

Sarah Jessica Parker in Michael Kors Collection
I love Carrie Bradshaw as much as the next girl (maybe even a little bit more) but come the f$%k on girlfriend! Where do I start? The sleeves are just baggy pieces of extra fabric that should have just been used to line one of MK's jacquard totes. The fabric just looks heavy and horrible. It also appears to be too long for her, which is causing it to bunch and wrinkle in weird places. And it has like, an awkward train? Or something? I'm sorry but SJP looks like a disaster.
Redeeming Past Golden Globes Gown: in 2004 she graced the Golden Globes Red Carpet in a gorgeous Chanel strapless tea length gown that looked like it walked out of the 1950's. Her shoes weren't that fabulous but I love that dress. She also won best actress for Sex and the City that year.
Carrie Underwood in Iris Serban
If you just get rid of that clown-like collar messy looking thing, this dress would be beautiful. I just wanna know, what the hell the designer was thinking. Like, "Oh let's get real crazy and throw on this hybrid rose vajayjay ruffle business and make this dress fabulous!" I'm sorry but it's far from fabulous, its almost tragic. It's a shame because the color is gorgeous on her and I love the geometric cut outs at the waist. 
Redeeming Past Golden Globes Gown: at the 2011 Golden Globes, Carrie looked stunning in a beautiful strapless Badgley Mischka beaded gown.
Jessica Chastain in Prada
This just has 90's school dance written all over it. The only thing slightly redeeming about this sorry excuse for a gown is the wide-V neckline. I love that is rests on the shoulders. Very pretty. The rest of it? Cornflower Blue mixed with pink sequined asymmetrical floral? Puke. It's terrible. Her hair is terrible. And she is so pretty and elegant, too! It almost makes me sad to see her in this rag (and its PRADA for f%&ks sake!).
Redeeming Past Golden Globes Gown: In 2015, Jessica Chastain nearly broke necks in a drop dead gorgeous Versace liquid bronze bombshell dress. It's the polar opposite of the dress above.
Judith Light in Balmain
I'm really sick of zebra print. Keep that stuff in the 80's where it belongs. This also looks like a dress Kris Jenner would wear (well, we know how the Kardashians love their Balmain). I think she styled it nicely but an open toed sandal would look better. You can't see it in this picture but the dress also has a center front slit and those always just look silly to me on dresses like these.
Redeeming Past Golden Globes Gown: last year she rocked a fabulous ivory tux on the Red Carpet. 
Amanda Peet in Bottega Veneta
When are we gonna get rid of this color? It has been flooding the Fall runways for far too long. "Oxblood" needs to go away and make a comeback again much further down the line. With that being said, this dress is just so plain Jane I had to add it to my Worst Dressed list. It does, however have one redeeming quality: the leather "straps" and open back that can be seen better in this picture here with pal, Sarah Paulson.
Redeeming Past Golden Globe Gown: In 2016 she worked the Red Carpet in a lacey, glistening "nude" Alexander McQueen high necked beauty.



Now that I have praised the wonderful gowns that walked the Red Carpet and tore apart the disasters that we are still trying to forget and may talk about later in therapy... I present to you my choice for the 2017 Golden Globes Best Dressed:

***Best Dressed***

Olivia Culpo in Zuhair Murad Couture
It's LITERALLY a work of art! I love this so much. The top of this dress makes it so stunning and fashion forward. I love the X-Front because it really breaks the dress up nicely without it being so blunt and obvious. The colors are perfect with her skin tone and she is SLAYING with that Dolce & Gabbana inspired updo and earthy toned makeup. Even my boyfriend chose this as best dressed!
SLAYYY MAMA SLAAAAYYY



Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment